Thursday 10 March 2011

Sick days

How on earth do other self-employed people manage when they are poorly?

I feel rubbish. My throat feels like someone's been at it with a cheese grater, it hurts when I breathe, never mind when I talk. My chest is sore from coughing, my eyes are gritty and I am so tired I could collapse.

However, it's a work day. So I dragged myself through yesterday to get the biggest order of the week done and I've baked for 6 hours today. My teeth are gritted, I'm counting down the minutes to being finished but I am trudging through it. I've not been at my best for weeks (months?) now and although this is just a minor ailment, it feels enough to push me near breaking point.

I'm lucky it's not a stomach bug, or I'd be forbidden to handle food for 48 hours after the symptoms stopped and I can't afford to stop for that long.

So, how do self-employed people handle sick days? With contracts to fill and inflexible deadlines, we can't pull a sicky and spend the day in bed. If we don't do the work it doesn't get done, and if the work isn't done we don't have a business after all.

Is it all about pushing through regardless? Taking lots of medication? Chugging coffee and coke to keep alert just long enough to get the work done? If there is a secret to it, I'd love to know.

1 comment:

  1. Hugs to you for pushing on through. Your workload is much steadier than mine, with regular rhythm to it, so it's different, but sometimes I do have to let people down. If I'm really ill I will do a rubbish job and that won't do my business any favours either, so sometimes I have to say 'sorry I couldn't do what I thought I could do this time' - one way to sweeten the feeling of letting people down is to offer a discount on next order. But yes, very different in your business to mine xx

    ReplyDelete